I had my second midwife appointment today. I can’t believe 4 weeks have already passed since the first one. I haven’t gained any weight, my blood pressure is perfect, and my belly measurement is 12cm, which she said is in the normal range. She found the baby’s heartbeat right away and it was fast and steady. She said I shouldn’t feel pressured to go to the gym after work given how physical my job is and said that even a short, 20-minute walk around my neighborhood would be sufficient to keep me active, so that was nice to hear. And I got the number to call to schedule the 20-week ultrasound, which I’m super excited about. I hope baby cooperates so we can find out if it’s a boy or a girl!
I’ve been experiencing some nasal congestion, lots of sneezing, and a very persistent headache today and am hoping it’s allergies, not a cold. We had a warm-ish, almost Spring-like day today, so it’s possible there’s just pollens in the air. But ugh. Not fun.
Our floors are all done!
But the rest of the house is still a disaster and will be until we get everything put back in its place. I think our plan is to paint the nursery this weekend and buy the furniture next weekend, so THAT should be fun!
We also have 2 extra dogs in the house. One, a Yorkie, arrived tonight and will be here through Sunday, the other, a Chow mix, arrives tomorrow and will be here through next Saturday night. What’s a little more added chaos, right?
Oh and ETA! twomommies, I’ll be thinking about you and Laurel tomorrow!! <3
drydrunkempress replied to your post: Spotting
As long as it’s not the same amount as a normal period. I think you should be fine. Brown is usually a good sign, means it’s old.
I called my mom, too, who’s a nurse and childbirth educator, and she said the same thing. But my anxiety is still escalating quickly. I clearly need to come up with something to calm me down now. Ugh.
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.
I just went to the bathroom and there was a small amount of brown spotting on the toilet paper. I took another pass and there was a little bit more, along with a glob of CM.
Intellectually, I know it’s probably nothing. But it’s freaking. me. out. I have a call into the midwifery and someone’s supposed to call me back. I just need to hear someone there tell me it’s all okay.
I wish my appointment was today, not next Tuesday. :-/
Maybe it’s because I’m still exhausted all the time and can’t think beyond when I get to sleep next? But despite a growing belly, despite seeing an active little fetus on an ultrasound a couple weeks ago, despite all this talk about being pregnant, it all still seems like an abstract idea much of the time. We talk about holiday plans for this year and how we’ll have an infant and it just feels like talking, not something that’s going to be a reality. It’s so strange.
I’m getting anxious about not having seen or heard our baby in 2 weeks and will not do so again for another 2 weeks. I don’t think I won’t be somewhat preoccupied with worry until I can actually feel it moving on a regular basis. I had a nightmare recently that I was in the shower and suddenly started bleeding profusely. The tragedy of miscarriage even comes up in the places you’d least expect: we were watching the Olympics last week and one of the US skeleton athletes was sharing her story of having a miscarriage at 18 weeks, how the baby’s heart just stopped and no one could tell her why. I find that idea so terrifying and wish there was a way to not worry about it. I’m not worrying about it constantly by any means, 95% of the time I’m worry-free. It’s just difficult not to think about sometimes when miscarriage is indeed a reality.
That said, we announced the pregnancy on Facebook the other day. Everyone has been lovely and excited and very congratulatory. It was fun to share the news.
We’re getting closer and closer to starting our flooring project and have been spending a lot of time going through all the CRAP we have in the room that’ll become the nursery and the spare room that’ll turn into an office/guest room/dog kennel room (sorry, guests). We got rid of a lot of stuff, are trying to sell a few pieces of furniture, and in general, have been making really good progress. I boxed up my diaper stash so everything would be in one place and easy to move from place to place for now and I just barely got everything to fit into an 18 gallon tub. Ha.
For weeks now, I’ve been having very mundane, yet very vivid dreams. It’s kinda funny. And still no real nausea, but I don’t always have an appetite for 3 meals a day. I feel like my extreme exhaustion has lifted a tiny a bit, which makes me hopeful. I’m tired of being tired all the time. We’ve been talking about how we’re likely going to try for a second kid pretty soon after I have the first (like within a year after) and sometimes the idea of being pregnant and exhausted AND having a baby/toddler to take care of sounds incredibly overwhelming!
Anyway, I’m mostly just rambling now because I’m tired and need a nap. Have a great day, all.
- Today, I’ve been spending time building a registry on Amazon, which is kinda fun. It’s amazing how much STUFF there is to buy for babies and how much of that stuff I don’t want.
- I ate too much at dinner last night and got pretty nauseous. I’m still paying for it today and have hardly eaten anything. I need to remember the “small meals only” rule my body has set for me, no matter how damn delicious that chana masala is.
- In TMI news, I can have sex with my wife without cramps now! Woot!
- I emailed a couple family members yesterday and told them about the pregnancy. I wanted them to know before I announced it on Facebook, etc. They were thrilled and lots of exclamation points were used. We only see either of them once a year for the holidays, so it’s exciting to think we’ll have a munchkin in tow the next time we visit.
- I can hardly believe I’ll be 12 weeks already on Saturday. My little pregnancy ticker says I have 199 days to go now. Watching that number dip below 200 was a little surreal. I’m grateful, though, because we still have sooo much to do around the house before it’s ready for the arrival of baby.
- Speaking of, I did a fair amount of lifting and moving of boxes of stuff yesterday and felt more crampy than usual afterward. Not enough to be concerned or anything and I know some cramping is normal, but of course part of my brain wonders obsessively if I did too much.
- I also worry about the coffee I drink and the lunch meat I eat on occasion despite how statistically, it’s unlikely either will hurt my baby in the small quantities I’m consuming.
- I continue to feel guilty for being so tired all the time and not wanting to do much, especially since my wife’s workload is ramping up at her job and I know the last thing she wants to do when she gets home is house chores.
- The cute crib set I ordered arrived in the mail and I’m so in love with it. I also ordered this SUPER awesome rug for the baby’s room:
- It looks like we won’t be painting the nursery until April, probably, rather than this month. Just too much other stuff to do first. I think we were being ambitious, anyway.
I suppose that’s it for now. I’ll be posting another belly shot on Saturday since it will have been 4 weeks since the last one by then. I definitely feel bigger, but I still think a lot of that is bloat.
Thanks for reading this super exciting blog post, everyone. Lol.
I wasn’t expecting a busy day at work, so didn’t bring a lunch today. My coworker had to leave early to take her kid to the doctor, though, so I ended up with a heavier load than expected and needed food. So I took the opportunity to order chicken and chive potstickers, the best potstickers I’ve ever had anywhere, from the Chinese restaurant next door to us. This was the fortune inside my fortune cookie:
This is also the place at which I received this fortune, on a Monday just over 2 years ago:
As it turns out, that Thursday is when we saw our house for the first time. We put in an offer the next day and it was approved 3 days after that. This fortune is framed and sits in our living room. I think perhaps I’ll need to frame the one I got today, too. :)